UWF
UWF and St. Michael's

Participating Departments

Geographic Information Systems (GIS)
includes information on:
    Graves Database
    Burial Records
    Grave Marker Photos
    GIS and Google Maps

Some Biographies of St. Michael's Cemetery Residents

We have collected histories on persons interred in St. Michael's Cemetery, Pensacola. Presented on this page are summaries; click the links to read the full biography. This research has been completed by students at the University of West Florida and St. Michael's Cemetery Foundation members.


William Alexander Blount, 1851-1921

Clearly, the life of William Alexander Blount had a tangible impact on the history and fortunes of Florida. As a resident of a "comparatively small city his reputation as a lawyer was nationwide" resulting in his selection of the American Bar Association's highest unofficial honor, that of President of the ABA. In all things, Blount was considered a man with integrity and although representing many corporate entities, was never questioned as to his ethical standards. He made a mark in law, politics, transportation and philanthropy. Additionally, his kindness and generosity reached all levels of Northwest Florida. Never discourteous or envious, he took delight in the "success of his neighbors and professional brethren, and would go out of his way to assist and encourage" young people in their pursuits. Although the Blount family received several letters of condolence and numerous public tributes about his leadership, the black citizens of the city offered a memorable homage and fitting closing that underscored the disparity and subtle changes of the time:
"Though custom forbade us from following the remains of this noble hearted man to his last resting place… we as a people loyal to every interest of our community, join with the white citizens in mourning the loss of one of Florida's noblest sons."
click here for full biography

George Philip Faust, 1820-1900

George Faust signed a land sale agreement in 1868 for land in Santa Rosa County, on the west shore of Escambia Bay. The land was sold to James R. Lee. Faust was involved in another land agreement in May 1880, this time with his son, Philip Faust, Jr., for the sum of five dollars. On a subdivision map of Breckenridge & Call, and Henry M. Breckenridge Tracts, there is a parcel of land listed as owned by Julian Edwards and Philip Faust in 1899. W. H. Davinson was the surveyor. This parcel is on Pensacola Bay, and is today part of the Naval Live Oaks Area of Santa Rosa Island National Seashore. It was here that George Faust spent many of his later years. His family, living in Pensacola, would row across the bay on a skiff to see him on Santa Rosa Island.
click here for full biography


Don Francisco Moreno, 1793-1883

Francisco Moreno better known as " The King of Pensacola". During his years in Pensacola he became a prominent leader in the community, investing in many aspects of developing Pensacola. Moreno opened the first bank in Pensacola and he actually kept a chest full of gold under his bed by which he lent money freely to people wishing to invest in the Pensacola area.(1) He was also the official Spanish representative in Pensacola for fifty-years, which gained him prominence not only in Pensacola, but also with the officials of Spain, and the connection they had here.
click here for full biography


Doctor Eugenio Antonio Sierra, 1750?-1849

When European powers attempted to colonize the New World, they first sent explorers and soldiers to establish a foothold on the new frontier. Later they sent traders, trappers, and priests to deal with the local inhabitants. As time moved on, settlers with their families arrived to build up a new colony and establish roots in this new land. All cities and towns required individuals with special skills to fit in and make the city or town prosper. So in 1785, Eugenio Antonio Sierra arrived to work in the Spanish royal hospital. Sierra was a captain and surgeon with the Spanish fleet when they captured Pensacola. He was assigned duty at the military hospital from 1785 - 1790 as a practitioner of instruments (surgeon).
click here for full biography